Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Elk Hunting

Springbreak started by going on an elk hunting trip with my family. We left Friday afternoon and drove most of the way in stayed in some friends cabin in Prineville (One of my favorite towns. I totally want to live there some day)! Saturday morning we woke up early and drove the rest of the way into the cabin. The cabin we go elk hunting at is on a huge ranch which is owned by some friends of my dads. To get to the cabin you have to drive over an hour on a muddy dirt road from the main road, so were pretty much out in the middle of nowhere. My sister and dad drove the ranger and me and my mom drove my dads truck. I had fun driving in and getting the truck all muddy!



Before...

After...

So that afternoon we get all our gear together and dress in our camo. BTW, camo is awesome! You could roll around in the mud and nobody would know because the mud would blend in! Saturday we ended up chasing elk all over the ranch. To make a long story short, some other guys were hunting on the ranch. They killed one elk and wounded another. By wounded I mean the elk was shot and then ran off. So they ended up tracking the wounded elk the rest of the day. Me and my dad end up seeing the wounded elk across a valley and decide to shoot at it. So we get the gun all set up on a tree and range find the elk. It was about 386 yards away. So I shoot it three times and we think its dead right? No. It starts walking up the hill! This is one tough elk because it was shot before we started shooting at it. It was too late to go look for it that night so we decide to look for it on Sunday. Sunday rolls around and we look for it all day and never find it. So it was another unsuccessful hunting trip :( Oh and I think I forgot to mention. We were hiking and all the sudden I told my dad "Dad, I think I smell elk". Thirty feet later, there’s one of the elk the other people had shot. How crazy is that? I can smell elk! Its just part of my awesome dinosaur skills :)
The weather for the weekend was pretty crazy. We had sunshine, snow, rain, and lots of wind. This morning when we woke up it was 18 degrees, brrrr! Oh! We also got to shoot lots of guns! Here's some more pictures from the rest of our fun weekend!
The scope hit my dad in the face. Mommy fixed him with a pretty bandaid!
Looking for Elk!
Me and Ashley shooting the AK47 & AR15
Driving around in the ranger, trying to stay warm.

No comments: