Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Southern Germany

I wish I could have blogged while I was on my little trip to Southern Germany but the internet was 10$ a day.

Monday afternoon we left for Garmish Germany. . It is a little town on the Germany Austria border. Our GPS died so I had to be the map reader for Halli. The drive over there was so pretty. We stayed in a cute little military hotel with an awesome view of the alps from our balcony.

That night we went to a cute little resturant called Bollywood. It was my first time eating Indian food, it was pretty good! This is also where I learned to say Thank you in German! Danka (I think thats how its spelled).

Tuesday we woke up bright and early, ate a big breakfast and headed towards the castles. We went to 3 out of the 4 castles that belonged to King Ludwig II. The first castle we went to was Hohenschwangau. This castle was smaller and more of a private get away.









The second castle we went to is Neuschwanstein. Cinderella's story was based off this castle. The king never actually lived in it and it was never completed. It was a huge castle. It was quite a long hike to the top. We paid 3 Euro's to take a horse carriage ride down the hill.


The third castle was Linderhof and it was my favorite. The king lived in this castle for 8 years. It was built to mimic versaille castle in Paris. The castle itself was small but very decorated. Everything inside was covered in gold or very fancy. It was all so beautiful inside. It's hard to image they built that kind of stuff so long ago. There were beautiful gardens all around the palace. There was also tons of fields full of wild flowers. King Ludwig II was a very extravogant man. He built his own cave where he hired opera singers and orchestras to play for him while he rowed around in his little boat on the lake in the cave. There were other cute buildings surrounding the palace... I'm not exactly sure what they were fore though. We didn't get to take any pictures inside the castles, but I took plenty outside.

All the furniture inside these castles was extremely old looking but very intricate looking. I can't even image living in places like this. King Ludwig II died a very mysterious death and he spent way to much money building these castles. After his death, it took his family 40 years to pay off his debt.
The castles all have a swan theme. We actually got to see some swans too at the lake near Linderhof!

The river water along the alps is so crystal clear. The water is really cold too!

The internet is not very good here and I can't get the pictures to allign properly or edit pictures. Kinda annoying.

Today we headed back towards Munich and went to the Dachau concentration camp. I'll post about that tomorrow.

No comments: