Friday, April 8, 2011

Europe - - Notre Dame

One of my favorite places in Paris is the Notre Dame Cathedral.

Its so big and beautiful and when I walk inside I'm just in awe. 


The construction of this cathedral was started in 1163 and finished in 1345.


I think what I love most about the inside is the stained glass windows. Last quarter I took a class in Stain Glass Design and we created our own mini stained glass windows. Just doing the miniature window was hard, I can't even imagine creating or installing the stained glass windows in this cathedral. They are massive and very detailed. 

 I really like this picture because the sun shining through the window is casting the colors on the wall :)
 


Inside you can pay to light a candle. I think they add to the peacefulness. 


This is the second time I've been to the Notre Dame Cathedral, but this time I learned something new! 
There is a little stone in front of the cathedral called point zero. In Paris when you ask someone how far away something is they use this point as the starting place So instead of measuring from where you are, they measure the distance from this point. Legend has it, if you jump on the stone it will bring you good luck and you will return to Paris one day.
So we all took our turn jumping :)

No comments: