Monday, July 23, 2012

Sunday Snapshot "Rudyard"

Almost every summer when I was little we would go to a little town on the highline called Rudyard.

It was once a booming town.

Now there is a welcoming sign that reads "Rudyard, 596 nice people and 1 old sore head!, rip snorting and raring for business".

My great grandma raised her family in this town.

I have memories of...
 riding my bike to the junk yard with my uncle to look for treasures,
first lemonade stand in front of the general store,
staying up late in grandma's kitchen eating cantaloupe with salt,
riding our bikes down every street in town.



Now when I go back to visit, I realize how much I miss this place.
Many of the buildings are now boarded up and run down.
Our family that once lived here has passed on.
The only thing left is memories.

 


I think the only thing open when we drove through was the museum pictured below.

We stopped and visited with the care takers.
We looked through the buildings that displayed years and years of history.
We found pictures of family members displayed in the old school house.







Main Street pictured below.



Linking up with Ni Hao Ya'll
Ni Hao Yall

1 comment:

quilt'n-mama said...

This sounds so much like the little town we live in, beautiful pictures that really capture it!