Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Black & White Wednesday

This Black & White Wednesday is going to be about my Grandma Mary.

The last couple years my Grandma has gone through a lot.

In the last two years, she survived....back surgery, a stroke, broken pelvis, colon cancer, heart surgery and so much more. She is such a strong woman.

She is the one who taught me how to sew. Whenever I need fabric or any sewing materials she always lets me raid her sewing room.

She taught me how to bake our special Christmas cookies. This year me and my sister had to make them all by ourselves because my Grandma was to weak to help us. She did supervise though :)

She taught me how to crochet. On our road trips to Montana she taught me all the different stitches and was always so patient with me.

My grandma is the oldest of 12 siblings. She grew up and raised her family in Montana. She had seven children. She was always a hard worker and is very stubborn. She doesn't like anyone to help her with anything, which isn't always a good thing when we're trying to take care of her lol. 

Last summer my mom and I found these old pictures of my Grandma. I scanned them and they were already in black & white since their so old!


This picture really makes me laugh because I don't think I've ever seen my Grandma drink. I guess it kinda makes sense though because she was a bartender for over 20 years. I'm guess my Grandma was in her 20's when this was taken.

My grandma and her sister Gloriane.My grandma is on the right. I love the old style of clothes in these photos! She tells me stories about how her and her sisters would take turns sitting up on an old building in their small town watching for enemy airplanes during WWII.
 

This is my grandma and grandpa on their wedding day. I never got to meet my grandpa but my mom is always telling me that he would have spoiled me silly :)
 

 This is a picture of my grandma and I last November.
 

This picture was taken at Christmas time. I really like this picture because it just captures my grandma. Her wrinkles from working hard all her life. The look in her eyes. Her coffee cup :).

I love you Grandma.

To see more Black & White Photos go to...
the long road

12 comments:

Formerly known as Frau said...

Love the pictures of your grandma what a wonderful women to have in your life! I love a strong women they just don't make em that way anymore.

Lisa said...

WOW! WHAT GREAT! GREAT! Pictures you have here. I just love them!

Supervising cookies just maybe the most important of jobs. I hope she grows stronger.

Christy said...

What amazing pictures of an amazing woman! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

What a great tribute to your grandmother!

Julie said...

I absolutely love these shots. Priceless!!

Don and Lisa Osborn said...

Your grandma must be sooo very proud to have such a sweet and adoring granddaughter. This is a beautiful tribute to her.

Such a heartfelt job!

Blessings~
Lisa

Cleo said...

What beautiful memories...AND pictures!

I often think those "days gone by" are "days" we sorely need in our "day and age". Hope that made sense: lots of "days" there! ;)

I too have recently posted about my grandmother (Memaw). She, as well, has been through ALOT the past 12 months. Broke her back... surgery followed a HARROWING 2 weeks later (during the time she suffered GREAT pain!). Broke her ankle...followed by surgery that involved putting pins in that ankle. Then, 2 weeks ago, her right arm was amputated due to severe bloodclotting. This is the grandmother I was named after (Her name is "Cleo". Mine is "Melissa Cleo".) These grandma's really do leave a beautiful imprint on our lives. Sorry to go on about my own Memaw...but I can so closely identify with your pain.

God's blessings to you...

Gail said...

Absolutely beautiful tribute and images!

Donna said...

Beautiful! Seriously gorgeous! I love your Grandma!

That first photo should be called "Vegemeatavitamin" ... it reminds me of the I Love Lucy episode! :)

Donna
Our Blog: Double Happiness!

Lula Lola said...

These are wonderful! Don't you love seeing her as a young lady? You'll treasure these!

Unknown said...

Your Grandmother is so beautiful. Wow. I love Grandmas! I miss mine every day. I am glad you can still spend time with her. She is a treasure. LOVE the pictures for sure!

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

OH, I love these pictures!! What a wonderful tribute to such a special lady!